Friday, June 29, 2007

Edutainment

I told a few of my colleagues that my son's kindergarten report card had a grading area for "Algebra." My colleagues happen to all be math wizards and pointed me in the direction of the Math Rabbit: Multivariable Calculus for Ages 4-7. Thanks for the tip guys!

The topic then turned to Edutainment. It seems they had all had great edutainment experiences in the early 80s with their Mac IIe computers. Products I heard named were: "Math Blast", "Number Munchers", "Robot Odyssey" and "LEGO logo." And they all agreed that the "Oregon Trail" used to not suck. In the spirit of trying to find the best kid products I searched for all of these products to see how they stand today. I won't be recommending them.

However, I now am on the path for searching for the best Edutainment products. So far I only have one on my list: Leap Frog's Letter Factory. When my son was 5 he watched this and went from knowing only a few letter sounds to every letter and their sound within a few days. I can't recommend this enough.

Anyone who has a great (current) Edutainment product to recommend please let me know!

No comments: